You’ve probably seen my video I posted a little while back of me eating crickets. I had so many people ask me “how did they taste?”, “was it good?”, and simply “WHY!!??” Let me assure you, the crickets and cricket powder from Entomo Farms were delicious (and nutritious).
To me, the crickets has a slight nutty taste, very mild. I have been using it in my morning smoothies for weeks and I can’t even taste it. The whole roasted crickets has a nice crunch to it and has the same nutty taste. I am a huge fan of potato chips so these were a great substitution to satisfy my crunchy cravings.
I decided to incorporate the cricket powder in something other than my daily smoothies. I am a huge fan of matcha (I talk about how good this is, literally non stop). I also love cookies (duh, who doesn’t?). I have made my tried and tested matcha shortbread cookies for what seems like FOREVER, and I thought I would add a little cricket powder to see how it would taste. If anything, it will add a nice protein kick to the cookies.
Here is the recipe:
1/2 cup butter soften (I always use salted and skip adding any extra salt in my baking)
1/4 cup icing sugar
1 tablespoon matcha powder
1 cup all purpose flour (or cake flour if you want a more light and airy cookie)
1 tsp Entomo Farms cricket powder
some whole roasted cricket for decoration (optional)
1. Combine soften butter and icing sugar and whip together
2. Add remaining ingredients and form into a dough ball.
3. Roll out cookie dough to approximately 1/4 inch thick and place in between two sheets of parchment paper. (you can add the whole roasted crickets on top of the cookie dough if you like before chilling).
4. Chill in refrigerator for one hour.
5. Preheat oven to 325 F
6. Remove dough from refrigerator and use your favourite cookie cutter to cut the cookie
7. Place dough onto cookie sheet 1/2 inch apart and bake for 10 minutes or until the edges turn slightly brown. (these can over cook quickly so make sure you put a timer on).
8. Remove cookies from baking tray and let cool.
9. Eat and Enjoy!
Eating bugs and crickets might be how we get protein in the very near future! Don’t be scared to try them, they are super delicious, I promise!
Check out these great benefits of eating bugs for both our environment and for ourselves:
Have you tried any bugs? Have you cooked with them? I would love to hear all about your experiences. Comment below!
Thank you Entomo Farms for providing the cricket products for me to test. As always, opinions are my own.