If you are looking for an easy, fast and delicious item to bake this holiday season, try making these amazing Toblerone shortbread! You will likely have all the ingredients in your pantry already. And if you don’t have Toblerone, you can always use a different type of chocolate – we can’t complain about chocolate, can we?
The secret to making these cookies irresistible is to chop up some of the Toblerone to be chunky and some to be fine. You want to be able to incorporate the fine pieces of chocolate into the batter so every bite has a little chocolatey goodness!
Have you tried making these Toblerone cookies? What is your favourite holiday treat?
Are Shortbread Cookies Vegan?
In short, no. Even though shortbread cookies don’t have eggs, it does contain butter. If you have used a butter substitute successfully in baking before, I am sure you can substitute it but the recipe as is, is not vegan.
Can Shortbread Cookies Be Frozen?
Both the dough and cookies can be frozen. Which makes this recipe perfect for the busy holiday season. Make the dough ahead, form the dough into cookies and freeze them on a flat sheet pan. Once frozen, you can transfer them into a zip top bag. When the dough is frozen, you can keep it in the freezers for 3 or more months. When you are ready to bake, just take them out of the freezer and lay each cookie out on the baking sheet. Let it sit until the dough is at room temperature and bake like you normally would. You can also freeze the cookies if you have left over after you bake them. Again, keep them in a zip top bag and it can lasts months in the freezer.
Easy Toblerone Shortbread
- 1 cup butter soften
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup cornstarch (or arrowroot powder)
- 1 3/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 large bar toblerone chocolate (100g) You can use another 100 gram bar if you like to add a piece of chocolate on top of your shortbread as well!
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Cream together sugar and soften butter until smooth
- Add vanilla and cornstarch, mix until combined
- Add flour, a little at a time until combined
- Chop up the toblerone chocolate bar. Leave some pieces bigger and some finer
- Mix chocolate into cookie batter
- Form cookie dough into 1 inch round disc and bake for 15 minutes (or until the bottom is golden brown)