Gnocchi is one of those recipes where you love eating it but you think it is super hard to make. But great news for you! Just like pasta, the dough is actually very easy to make and the fresh homemade stuff is just so much better than store bought. And my favourite part is that you can make a huge batch and freeze them so you always have homemade gnocchi. Jackpot!
Depending on where you are in Italy, you might experience gnocchi differently. In some parts of Italy, they make it with potatoes while other parts of Italy makes them with ricotta cheese. Whether they are made with cheese or potatoes, they are simply delicious and oh so satisfying! Try this simple recipe and let me know what you think!
- 3 small white potatoes washed and peeled
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- Boil peeled potatoes for about 20 minutes or until they are soft when you poke a knife through them
- Drained the cooked potatoes and let it cool down for about 5 minutes
- In a large bowl, mash the cooked potatoes and add the flour and egg
- Mix until a dough forms. Depending on how big your potatoes are, you may need a little more flour to bring the dough together
- Roll dough out into thin logs
- Using a pastry cutter or knife, cut rolled dough out into 1/2 inch wide gnocchi pieces
- Boil gnocchi for 4 minutes and strain
To top your fresh gnocchi, you can use sauces like pesto or just good ol’ tomato sauce. Another great way to jazz them up is to pan fry the cooked gnocchi with a little butter and add fresh tomatoes and basil. The simple flavours combined with the super fresh pasta just screams deliciousness in your mouth!
You can also replace the white potatoes for sweet potatoes or pumpkin! If you are looking for a low carb option, you can swap out the flour for almond flour and add cheese instead of potatoes. Just as yummy!
Let me know in the comments below what you think of this easy gnocchi recipe! Make sure you tag me on social media @joyceofcooking if you make this recipe! Happy cooking!
Leave a Comment