If you are a fan of Seinfeld, you probably remember the episode where Jerry and Elaine went to a bakery and picked up a babka and a black and white cookie.
What are the origins of the Black and White Cookie?
The origins of these delicious black and white cookies are a little murky since everyone likes to claim they created something iconic. But you can find it in New York City!
What exactly IS a Black and White Cookie?
Generally, they are a cookie with more of a cake-like texture that is iced with two colours of icing – black and white. Sometimes you can find cookies where the icing is a fondant, either way, they are tasty and fun to make! When you make it yourself you can really taste the vanilla flavouring from the vanilla extract used as well as the cocoa powder.
Seinfeld Black and White Cookies
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
For the Icing
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 2 TBSP whole milk
- 2 TBSP corn syrup
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 TBSP cocoa powder
- preheat oven to 350F
- Mix all dry ingredients into a small bowl
- In a separate bowl, cream together butter and sugar, add egg and vanilla until combined
- Add half of the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients
- Add half of the sour cream into the mixture
- Alternate until both the dry ingredients and sour cream have been combined into the wet ingredients
- Scoop 6 cookies onto baking pan and flatten a little on the top
- Bake for about 16 minutes
- Remove and cool fully before icing
- Add all ingreidents in icing list together EXCEPT the cocoa powder
- Separate the icing mixture into two bowls, one will be the vanilla
- In the 2nd bowl, add cocoa powder and whisk to create the chocolate icing
- Once cookies are fully cooled, ice the cookies – half with the vanilla icing and the other half with the chocolate icing
- Let icing set and enjoy!
If you tried this recipe out, let me know what you think! Want to see any other Seinfeld-inspired recipe? Comment below and let me know!