Hot chocolate bombs have been the most popular thing for the last few months. If you haven’t heard of it, think of a bath bomb but made with delicious chocolate instead and its filled with hot chocolate powder, it is truly amazing.
There are tons of small businesses that make these hot chocolate bombs but if you have some spare time and want to try your hand at making some, it is really easy!
How to Make Hot Chocolate Bombs
Basically, a hot chocolate bomb is made up of melting down chocolate to filled a mold, once the chocolate hardens, you fill it up with your favourite hot chocolate powder, marshmallow, and any other fun goodies like sprinkles, and even peppermint syrup. Once one side of the mold is filled, put an empty chocolate shell on the other side to create a sealed chocolate bomb! Easy!
Where to Buy Chocolate Bomb Molds
If you want to make the round ball shape, you will have to get a mold from a retailer like Michaels, Etsy, or Amazon. If you don’t want to buy a mold, you can use any silicone muffin liner that you might have or I used my heart-shaped silicone baking mold. You can even create a mold using tin foil or by freezing a balloon and using the frozen ball as a mold. As you can see there are many options!
What is Ruby Chocolate?
Ruby chocolate is considered the newest chocolate variety! It has a beautiful fruity flavour and an undeniable pink hue. The chocolate is made out of ruby cocoa beans which is an unfermented cocoa bean. Researchers have been working on this new flavour for over 10 years. In recent years, it has been introduced to market. There is a ruby kit kat flavour and many chocolatiers around the world have started experimenting with Ruby chocolates in their creation. If you are looking to buy a small bag of ruby chocolate in the Hamilton area, you can check out Beanermunky in Dundas. If you prefer to get a larger bag, you can get it from our friends at Chocola Chocola in Guelph.
Valentine’s Day Ruby Hot Chocolate Bombs
- 1 cup Ruby Chocolate pellets
- mini marshmallows
- Hot chocolate powder
- Sprinkles optional
- In a double boiler, add one cup of ruby chocolate into the inner pot and turn the heat on medium low.
- Melt the chocolate and pour a thin layer into your molds
- Using a spoon or small brush, paint the sides of the mold with the chocolate so the bottom and sides of the mold have a thin layer of chocolate
- Put mold into the refrigerator and let the chocolate harden (about 10 minutes)
- Remove the mold from the fridge and repeat the first step again. Pour another thin later of chocolate into the mold and spread it around to create a thin second layer of chocolate.
- Put into refrigerator and let harden for another 10 mintues
- Remove the chocolates out of the mold and set aside on a plate
- You should have 4 halves, in two of the halves you will fill it in with marshmallows, hot chocolate powder and any other goodies you like
- Head a small pan on low heat just to warm it up. You are going to use the heat of the pan to melt the edges of the chocolate bomb to even it out and to seal it. Using the two halves that are empty, rub it quickly over the heated pan, the chocolate will melt and create a smooth edge.
- Place the empty half onto the filled half and it should form a seal. Repeat for the second hot chocolate bomb.
- You should have a little bit of melted chocolate left that you can decorate the top with (this is optional as well)
- Place finished hot chocolate bomb into large mug and pour either hot milk or hot water over it. Watch the magic happen and enjoy!
Are you a fan of hot chocolate bombs? Have you tried making your own? Comment below and let me know! Or tag me on Instagram! @joyceofcooking