This is a sponsored post with MSC Label & Nobilo Wine. But as always, recipe and opinions are all my own.
I first heard about Marine Stewardship Council when I visited the Restaurant Canada show a few years back! Sustainability is something I constantly think about what it comes to the food we consume. I love seafood and the idea that one day we might not have delicious seafood like we do today scares and saddens me! When I found out about MSC, I was thrilled.
What is MSC?
What exactly is MSC you might be wondering. MSC also known as the Marine Stewardship Council is a non profit organization that is operated worldwide! They are all about sustainability and making sure the future generations will have amazing seafood to consume for years to come! When you select seafood with the MSC label on it, you are ensuring that you are consuming certified sustainable seafood that you can feel good about consuming!
Where I can find MSC label products?
Good news! MSC certified sustainable seafood can be found pretty much in all major local grocery stores and even fishmongers like Seafront Fish Market in St. Lawrence Market in Toronto! You can find tons of different MSC label products from fresh, frozen and even canned in stores with a variety of products like cod, haddock, salmon, tuna, shrimp, lobster and many more! Fun fact, did you know you can even find MSC certified pet foods? Some popular grocery stores you can find MSC label products include Loblaws, Whole Foods Markets, Costco, Walmart, and Sobeys! With it so readily available, there are really no excuse to not buy MSC label products!
MSC Label + Nobilo Wines (The Perfect Pairing)
Nobilo, a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc is the perfect partner for any MSC Label seafood. Their Sauvignon Blanc is refreshing and crisp with notes of citrus and tropical fruit which goes perfectly well with my Thai Poached Cod recipe! You can find it at your local LCBO for only $16.95 or grocery stores like Sobeys and Loblaws that carries wine now!
So let’s jump into the recipe! I love Thai food and its strong and bold flavours! This recipe poaches the MSC Label cod perfectly and matches so well with the Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc! I like to make my own Thai Red Curry Paste, which you can find the recipe here. But if you don’t want to make your own or have some store bought Thai red curry paste already, you can definitely use it! I love this dish because not only is it super tasty, but you can make this in about 20 minutes!! Win, win!
Have you tried any MSC label products before? What is your favourite? Comment below!
Thai Poached Cod
- 2 shallots; diced
- 1 inch piece ginger, grated
- 3 cloves garlic; grated (you can use more or less depending on your love of garlic)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tsp Thai Red Chili Paste
- 1/2 cup Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 package (400 grams) cod fillets - MSC certified
- cilantro (for optional garnish)
- Sliced Thai chili peppers (for optional garnish)
- In a deep pan or dutch oven (make sure you have a lid), heat oil to medium heat
- Add shallots, ginger and garlic into hot pan and sautee until golden brown
- Add Thai red chili paste and sautee to let the aromatics do its magic!
- Add Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc and let is cook for about 3 minutes (until most of the wine have evaporated/reduced)
- Add coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice, salt, sesame oil and stir to combine.
- Turn heat down to low/medium
- Add MSC certified cod fillets into sauce (preferably single layered) and cover to poach for approx. 5-7 minutes. (if your fillets are thin, it will cook very quickly).
- Serve cod with a side of rice and bok choy. Garnish with sliced Thai red chili and cilantro