Nothing beats a nice bowl of warming soup during a cold winter day. Soup is always a go to during these long winter months we have in Canada, but this soup adds the heat of turmeric, curry and ginger to make it even more warming for our bodies. This soup will keep you feeling full for a long time and the added bonus of the wholesome ingredients makes this a perfection combination of healthy and yummy!
You can make this recipe on the stove top or in the Instant Pot. If you are interested in making it in your Instant Pot, scroll down to the notes section and see the instructions there.
Curry & Turmeric Lentil Soup
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 thumb sized piece ginger, grated You can add more or less depending on how much you love ginger!
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped) You can add more or less depending on how much you love garlic
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tablespoon your fav curry powder
- 1 cup red lentils rinsed
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- 1 can coconut milk You can sub in 1 cup water instead
- Kale (Optional as a garnish for a nice contrast in texture!)
- In a large stock pot, add oil and turn on heat to medium
- Once the oil is heated up, add ginger, garlic, onion, and carrot and sautee until soft
- Add turmeric and curry powder and mix to combine with the veggies
- Add lentils and stir to combine, add vegetable broth, salt and pepper
- Turn heat up to high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to medium heat cook for about 40 minutes (or until lentils are soft)
- Turn off heat and use either an immersion blender or pour soup in batches into blender to puree. Taste soup to adjust seasoning if needed.
- *Optional: Add shredded up kale into soup
- Stir in coconut milk and enjoy!
You can use the 6 quart instant pot cookers to make this soup as well. You can follow the same step and cook on manual for 10 minutes. The pressure in the instant pot actually breaks down the lentils very well so you don't even need to blend it at the end. Tools I used in this recipe:
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Yes!! yummy yummy I love curry and I am starting to fall in love with lentils! Can’t wait to try this soup sounds so creamy and heavenly!
Simple, beautiful, and packed full of flavor. Best of all, a spectacular comfort food during these chilly winter days.
I’ve never tried this combination before. I’ve never tried Turmeric but I keep hearing more and more about it
Oh my goodness this looks so delicious! I already have all of the ingredients & was planning on making something with curry this weekend so I’ll probably end up trying this! Thanks for sharing!
-Madi xo | http://www.everydaywithmadirae.com
That’s a great lentil soup there Tilly, very healthy too! Shared.😋👍
I love a curry and any type of curry actually. This looks so good and delicious.
I have a bag of red lentils that I have been looking to use up. This recipe will be perfect!!
I’m a fan of curry always, and in a soup it sounds perfect. And since winter still seems to be hanging on, soup is always welcome. Delicious!