Butter chicken is one of those dishes you have in restaurants and you think, there is no way I can make this at home! But I am going to prove you wrong. This easy and fast butter chicken recipe can be made without an Instant Pot too but the flavours and speed from using the IP is out of this world! If you are making this without an instant pot, you just simply cook it in a pan instead and cook until the chicken is cooked through. The steps are pretty much the same.
Also, I use skim milk instead of cream which a lot of butter chicken recipe uses. There is nothing wrong with using cream but if you want to opt for a healthier option, use skim milk and add some cornstarch to it at the end of the cooking process to thicken it up instead of using cream. The taste is still amazing and you won’t be able to tell the difference.
This tasty comfort dish will be your go to meal, I guarantee it! Do you have an Instant Pot? If you have tried this recipe, please comment below and share a picture with me on Instagram by tagging me @joyceofcooking!
Watch the video here!
Easy Instant Pot Butter Chicken
- 1 TBSP butter
- 5 cloves garlic, finely diced You can use more or less depending on your love for garlic!
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and diced
- 1 large boneless chicken breast, diced
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch black pepper
- 1 tsp chili pepper Again, you can add more or less depending on your spice tolerance
- 1 TBSP garam masala powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin powder
- 1/2 can (200ML) tomato sauce Or use fresh if you have any you made
- 2 cups skim milk You can use cream or milk at any percentage. If you use skim milk, you will need a little cornstarch to thicken it up
- 1 tsp cornstarch not needed if you are using cream
- 2 tsp water not needed if you are using cream
- Put your Instant pot on sautee mode and let it heat up.
- Add butter, garlic, white onion, and ginger. Sautee until golden brown
- Add salt, pepper, chili pepper, garam masala, cumin into pot and stir to combine.
- Add chicken
- Add tomato sauce and milk and stir
- Set your Instant Pot to MANUAL mode, HIGH for 3 minutes. When it is done cooking, manually release the pressure.
- Set your Instant Pot back to sautee mode
- Mix water and cornstarch together in a little bowl and add to butter chicken mixture, stir and let thicken. These last 2 steps are not necessary if you are using cream.
- Serve with rice, naan, wedge of lime and some cilantro on top