Nothing beats a nice bowl of warming soup during a cold winter day. Soup is always a go to during these long winter months we have in Canada, but this soup adds the heat of turmeric, curry and ginger to make it even more warming for our bodies. This soup will keep you feeling full for a long time and the added bonus of the wholesome ingredients makes this a perfection combination of healthy and yummy!
You can make this recipe on the stove top or in the Instant Pot. If you are interested in making it in your Instant Pot, scroll down to the notes section and see the instructions there.
Curry & Turmeric Lentil Soup
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 thumb sized piece ginger, grated You can add more or less depending on how much you love ginger!
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped) You can add more or less depending on how much you love garlic
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tablespoon your fav curry powder
- 1 cup red lentils rinsed
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- 1 can coconut milk You can sub in 1 cup water instead
- Kale (Optional as a garnish for a nice contrast in texture!)
- In a large stock pot, add oil and turn on heat to medium
- Once the oil is heated up, add ginger, garlic, onion, and carrot and sautee until soft
- Add turmeric and curry powder and mix to combine with the veggies
- Add lentils and stir to combine, add vegetable broth, salt and pepper
- Turn heat up to high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to medium heat cook for about 40 minutes (or until lentils are soft)
- Turn off heat and use either an immersion blender or pour soup in batches into blender to puree. Taste soup to adjust seasoning if needed.
- *Optional: Add shredded up kale into soup
- Stir in coconut milk and enjoy!